"This gigantic plant-based cookie-dough ice cream sandwich is gluten free, dairy free, lactose free, soy free and refined sugar free. No cooking needed - just mixing together raw ingredients. It uses almonds as the cookie dough, mixed with raw honey (or maple syrup), some vanilla, and cacao nibs. The ice cream is made of whipped cashews with lemon, coconut oil, honey, vanilla and a dash of salt. The combination is like our favorite cookie-dough / ice cream blend, yet this recipe is designed to provide our bodies with nutrition, as well as taste like a decadent dessert... or snack. This pie is high in protein, antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and nutrients. This can replace your cookie ice cream cake cravings while leaving your body nourished and energized. It can aid weight loss if you want it too. This is called having our cake and eating it too - when we get nutrition from our favorite-tasting foods. You can make a jumbo pie, or make the mixture into mini hand size ice cream sandwiches! Enjoy this recipe, it has been a process in the making for 2 years, the measurements are divine and create a perfect balance of texture and taste! Love Liana"
You will need: A 9" or 12" spring pan, or just a regular cake tin/pan
"I used a 12" spring pan for this one in the photo, I just love how we can place in the mixtures, set it in the freezer, and then pop it out of it's pan and it's a perfectly even pie - nothing sticks to the sides this way. If you don't know what a spring pan is - just google it."
Serves: This recipe makes a large pie that serves 16-20 slices.
For the cookie-dough:
4 cups almond meal (also known as almond flour) - this is ground up - blended almonds
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
10 teaspoons maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons cacao nibs
For the ice cream:
1/4 cup lemon juice (approx 1 large lemon)
3 cups cashews, soaked in water for 3 hours
3/4 cup maple syrup (or raw honey)
3/4 cup coconut oil
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
1. Make the cookie dough. Mix all ingredients into a bowl until well combined and you can make a dough out of it. Add more water if it needs to be more moist so that you can mold it together.
2. Press half the cookie dough into the bottom of the pan.
3. Make the ice cream. Add all ingredients to your blender, hopefully a Vitamix as used for this one, see photo above, and mix for a few minutes or until completely smooth and lush. There should be no chunks at all if possible.
4. Pour the ice cream mixture on top of the cookie-dough. Set in the freezer for 2.5 hours until firm, and then complete the top layer of cookie dough by pressing it down.
5. Now it is ready to slice and eat! Cut it into 4th's and then into 16 or 20 slices. Keep it in the freezer, or in the fridge if you prefer the middle ice cream layer to be creamy and soft.
1. Make 16-20 mini cookie-dough ice cream sandwiches! Just take the mixtures from above, and create them into 16 (hand-size molds) or 20 mini circles on a baking tray or muffin tray (or cup cake holders).
2. Use a VITAMIX for the ice cream. From all the blender I have tried, this machine is the best for whipping cashews and making it into a lush smooth ice cream consistency. You get a discount for being an Earth Diet reader, just use code: 06-008546 at purchase! If you don't use a Vitamix, try a really powerful one. Others have said they have made it, and if it still has some cashew chunks they don't mind it - so you can have it chunky - or smooth with a super powerful mixer!
3. Share with people you care about, and the ones who love the cookie/ice cream combo!
+ Vegan / Plant Based
+ Gluten Free
+ Dairy Free / Lactose Free
+ Provides the body with nutrition
+ High in protein
+ Brain food
+ Increases energy
+ High in antioxidants
+ Party Food / Family gatherings
+ High in magnesium, which relaxes the body
+ Essential oils from coconut oil
+ Can be eaten to alleviate stress and frustration
* Every single recipe on this website uses nature’s ingredients, only. Always choose organic, local and seasonal whenever possible.
Recipe credit: By Liana Werner-Gray
Recipe inspired by Raw Chocolate Man
Photo thanks Rock'n Raw Photos - Raw and Unedited #NoFilter
This recipe is part of © 2013 The Earth Diet ™ All Rights Reserved
This month's recipes contributed by Earth Diet Founder & Author