Total time: Soak chickpeas overnight, total cook time 1 hour
Serves: 4 - 6
3 cups of chickpeas (soaked overnight)
3 cups rice
4 tomatoes, chopped
1 tablespoons of tomato paste
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
1/2 cup fresh parsley
1 brown onion
1 clove garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Add the chickpeas to a pot of water and boil for 35 minutes, or until chickpeas are almost cooked but not quite.
2. While the chickpeas are boiling, boil the rice and cook that until done.
3. Drain the water from the chickpeas, and add the tomatoes, tomato paste, water, cilantro, parsley, garlic and salt. Stir fry and cook for 20 minutes until it is all well combined. If it is too dry add more water.
4. Serve the rice in bowls, and then chickpeas on top!
1. You can use canned chickpeas, just buy organic BPA free, and skip the soaking overnight step and the boiling for 30 minutes. Just add the tomato mixture with the chickpeas and cook for 15 minutes.
- Gluten Free
- Can fulfill pasta craving
- High in protein
- Brain food
- Workout food - pre and post
- Warming and calming affect
- Can reduce stress
- Can treat depression and anxiety
- Plant based - vegan
Recipe created by Liana Werner-Gray
Photo taken on Liana's iPhone no filter
This recipe is part of © 2014 The Earth Diet ™ All Rights Reserved
This month's recipes contributed by Earth Diet Founder & Author