Total Time: 30 minutes
Ingredients For Cake:
1 ¼ cup of Semolina
½ cup flour
1 ½ cup natural unsweetened shredded coconut
¼ cup of crushed walnuts (or other nut of choice)
1 cup of almond milk (or other milk)
¾ cup of coconut sugar
1 egg (or use flax egg alternative recipe)
1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon of baking powder
2 tablespoons of olive oil
Ingredients for Syrup ( it goes over the cake):
1 cup of water
3/4 cup of coconut sugar
1 teaspoon of lemon juice
1 teaspoon of Rose water
1. Prepare the cake: In a large mixing bowl mix all the dry ingredients (semolina, flour, coconut, sugar, baking powder and crushed walnuts). Combine well.
2. Add the oil and beaten egg along with the olive oil, pure vanilla extract and milk.
3. Use an 8” by 11” and grease it with oil. Pour the mixture into the pan and spread with a spatula.
4. Use a sharp knife and cut the basbousa batter into the desired shape. I like diamond or square shape.
5. Preheat the oven at 350 C
6. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until light golden brown on top.
7. Cut over the original cuts that you made.
8. Let it cool down fully.
9. In a sauce pan boil water, sugar and lemon juice.
10. All it to simmer for 5 to 6 minutes.
11. Add the rose water and allow to simmer for another 2 minutes.
12. Pour the syrup in a measuring cup and allow to fully cool.
13. Add the syrup over the cake.
14. Place the cake in the oven again for 5 minutes or until the syrup has been soaked in by the cake.
*Allow it to cool and serve cold!
Recipe by Samiha Umar, founder of Health Muslim Moms.
EVERY single recipe on this website uses nature’s ingredients, only.
* Always choose ORGANIC, local and seasonal whenever possible.
This recipe is part of © 2014 The Earth Diet ™ All Rights Reserved
Founded by Samiha, Healthy Muslim Moms is a non-profit organization dedicated to moms with a passion for living a healthier lifestyle. Her mission is to educate and improve the health and lifestyle habits of Muslim moms. Healthy Muslim Moms also provides guidance on holistic fitness (physical, mental, and emotional). Hence, you can continue to enjoy living a healthier lifestyle without any regrets. More info here.