Total time: 45 minutes
5 tablespoons extra-virgin coconut oil
1 brown onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, diced
3-inch piece ginger, chopped
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon sage
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper or more to taste
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
6 cups water
1 red pepper, chopped into small cubes
4 tomatoes, chopped into bite size pieces
1½ cup quinoa
3 stalks celery, cut in ¼-inch slices
Juice of one lemon
1/2 cup cilantro
4 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro to serve
2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
Serve with one sliced avocado and lime/lemon wedges
1. Heat the coconut oil in a large pot and add the onion, garlic and ginger. Sauté until golden brown (about 4 minutes). Add the cumin, thyme, sage and turmeric powder. Stir-fry for one minute more. Add cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper. Stir-fry for another 2 minutes until the spices are fragrant.
2. Stir in the water, red pepper, tomatoes, quinoa, celery, and 1/2 cup cilantro. Bring to a boil over high heat then reduce to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Stir in the lemon juice, and cilantro and serve. Drizzle each bowl with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle with more salt or cayenne pepper to taste! Top with sliced avocado and lemon wedges.
1. Serve with Flat Bread
2. If you want a smoother, less chunky soup, puree the soup in a blender once cooked.
Per serving: Calories: 437 Total Fat: 10g Carbohydrate: 79g Dietary Fiber: 5g Protein: 8g
+ Good for Digestive Health
+ High in Protein
+ Increasing Energy
+ Immune Boosting
+ Good for depression
+ Calming, grounding and healing recipe
* Every single recipe on this website uses nature’s ingredients, only. Always choose organic, local and seasonal whenever possible.
This recipe was created by Liana Werner-Gray.
Photo thanks to Roxxe NYC Photography.
Total making time: 20 minutes
Serves: 2-4 people
1 cup of rice
2.5 cups of water
1 tablespoon peanut sauce or extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons of cracked black pepper
1 teaspoon coriander/cilantro seeds
1/4 cup spinach
1/3 cup roasted peanuts
1. Add rice and water to a pot and bring to a boil.
2. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until liquid is absorbed and grains are soft, about 15 minutes.
3. Squeeze them lemon on the rice and stir.
4. Add the oil, black pepper, coriander seeds, spinach and peanuts and stir toss until all is well combined.
+You can use brown rice
+You can replace the rice with quinoa.
+ Dairy Free
+ Gluten Free
+ High in Vitamin C
+ High in Protein
*** Always choose ORGANIC, local and seasonal whenever possible.
This recipe was created by Liana Werner-Gray 2013.
Photo thanks to Rock’n Raw Photos - Raw and Unedited
This recipe is part of © 2013 THE EARTH DIET ™ All Rights Reserved
The Earth Diet
This month's recipes are by Liana Werner-Gray, Founder and CEO of The Earth Diet.