"I usually try to stay away from meat for the most part, although I'm not a strict vegan. There are times when I'm craving something with the consistency of fried chicken, but don't want to fly off the handle and eat the real thing. While I don't have too much soy in my diet, I allow a bit of tempeh once in a while. It is fermented, so doesn't carry with it the usual negatives that soy has attached to it. You can use the marinade in this recipe for anything, I just love how tempeh is a flavor sponge and will take on whatever you add to it."
-Salvatore, Earth Diet Health Mentor
Total Time: 30 minutes (plus a few hours for the tempeh to soak)
Serves: 2 (serve with veggies and a grain)
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup liquid aminos
1 teaspoon curry
1 package of tempeh (one large piece)
2 tablespoons coconut oil for frying
1. Mix ingredients for marinade in a bowl, cut tempeh into 4 pieces, and add to the bowl
2. Let the tempeh soak in the marinade in the fridge for at least 1 hour, but as long as possible, even overnight
3. Heat coconut oil in a pan and add the tempeh, cook one one side for about 2 minutes (until browned)
4. Cook on the other side and repeat process until it reaches it is browned evenly, but not burned
5. Add the rest of the marinade to the pan, and let it cook for another minute
6. Add a bit of salt to your liking
- Fermented soy gives you the benefits of soy without many of the downfalls of regular soy
- Loaded with protein, great for vegans and vegetarians
- Has good dietary fiber and vitamins such as manganese and copper
- Complete protein food that contains all the essential amino acids
- Great alternative to fried chicken
- Contains healthy probiotics or “good bacteria”
- The fermentation process produce natural antibiotic agents
Recipe and photo by Salvatore Fiteni, Health Mentor for The Earth Diet.
Learn more about Salvatore here.
EVERY single recipe on this website uses nature’s ingredients, only.
* Always choose ORGANIC, local and seasonal whenever possible.
This recipe is part of © 2014 The Earth Diet ™ All Rights Reserved
Hailing from Long Island, NY, Salvatore is a musician, health coach, blogger, and someone on a journey of personal growth who wants to share the tools he picks up along the way with others looking to transform their life for the better.