"Like many of my recipes, it all started with a burning desire. I needed some miso! More specifically I felt my gut needed the benefits of the miso's live probiotic power. And alas, this quick miso was born" -Salvatore Fiteni
Serves: 4 small bowls
Total Time: 30 minutes
1/2 red onion chopped finely
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup frozen spinach
5 shiitake mushrooms sliced
1/4 cup sesame oil
3 tablespoons miso paste
1/2 teaspoon coconut aminos (awesome product!)
1/2 tablespoon brown rice vinegar
6 cups of water
zest of 1 lemon
1 avocado cut into cubes
ground black pepper
1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
(in oven at 350 for 10 minutes until brown, can also use a pan without oil)
Minced chives for topping
Optional: Toasted crumbled nori sheet sprinkled on top
1. Heat sesame oil in a pot (something you'd cook soup in) on medium heat
2. Add onion and let it slightly brown
3. Add peas, spinach, and let it cook (now's a good time to pre-heat oven)
4. Add mushrooms, let it cook and add coconut aminos
5. Once it's all pretty well cooked, add brown rice vinegar
6. Add 6 cups of water to the pot and put it back on the heat (probably about time to put sesame seeds in oven)
7. Let the water get hot, but try not to bring it to a boil, once it's hot (not boiling) add miso and stir it in well (you may even want to mix miso and a bit of water together in a separate bowl and then put it in the pot to avoid clumping)
8. Add in lemon zest, a bit of ground black pepper, and cover on low heat until sesame seeds are toasted
9. Pour soup into bowls, add in avocado cubes, and top with chives and toasted sesame seeds
1. Add salt or more miso at the end if you prefer it saltier.
2. Serve with brown rice. A heaping spoonful in each bowl is perfect
Recipe and photo by Salvatore Fiteni, Health Mentor for The Earth Diet.
Learn more about Salvatore here.
For more information on the benefits of miso, check out this natural news article.
EVERY single recipe on this website uses nature’s ingredients, only.
* Always choose ORGANIC, local and seasonal whenever possible.
This recipe is part of © 2014 The Earth Diet ™ All Rights Reserved
Hailing from Long Island, NY, Salvatore is a musician, health coach, blogger, and someone on a journey of personal growth who wants to share the tools he picks up along the way with others looking to transform their life for the better.