Preparation time: 20 minutes
1 bunch of collard greens
½ red onion chopped
4 cloves of garlic chopped finely (more for unabashed garlic lovers)
1 cup navy beans
*If dried beans, soak and boil accordingly. If canned, use organic bpa free.
1 ½ cups water, as needed
Himalayan salt (or good sea salt)
2 tbsp. coconut oil for cooking (or more if needed)
1. Cut collard greens around stem, and slice into small strips (save stems for a juice or smoothie!)
2. Bring water and a pinch of salt to a boil in a large sauce pan
3. Add collards, reduce heat to medium-low, and cover
4. In about 2 minutes heat coconut oil on medium in a fry pan until melted and covering pan.
5. Add garlic and onion and allow to cook until slightly browned
6. Cook collards to tender, (check after 5 minutes and every minute thereafter)
7. Once cooked, turn off heat and add excess water to fry pan while garlic/onion is still cooking.
*This may fill the room with a hypnotizing aroma, so be prepared to share!
8. Once water is slightly evaporated add water/garlic/onion combo to cooked collards.
9. Now stir in navy beans and salt/pepper to taste.
10. Inhale deeply and exhale with a “YUM”
Benefits: Helps lower cholesterol, vegan, low-calorie, high-fiber, rich in phyto-nutrients,energy boosting, protein, excellent source of folates, heart healthy, ridiculously rich in vitamin K, source of vitamin c, many b vitamins, contains iron, calcium, copper, manganese, selenium and zinc. WOW!
Recipe by Mr. F. Long Island, NY March 2013
This recipe is part of © 2013 THE EARTH DIET ™ All Rights Reserved
The Earth Diet
Every ingredient used is naturally provided by earth.