"March comes in like a lion! Especially this year. I'm still recovering from the extra snowy and cold winter we had here in New York City. It was the coldest winter I can remember. Ever. I got really comfortable and familiar with making this soup, and playful with different combinations of vegetables. It ALWAYS hits the spot." Chef Hannah Gruber
Total time: 30 minutes
For the soup:
1 6-inch piece of daikon radish, sliced into rounds then into quarters
1 rib of celery, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 thumb-sized knob of ginger, minced
2 scallions, white parts only, thinly sliced
3 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock for vegan alternative)
2 rounds of soba noodles (or brown rice pasta for gluten free)
tiny pinch of crushed red pepper, to taste
5 dried shiitake mushrooms, rehydrated and thinly sliced
handful of spinach, arugula, bok choy, radish greens, or mustard greens, roughly chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1. In a medium soup-pot, heat chicken stock with first 5 ingredients.
2. Once broth comes to a boil, turn down heat and simmer 5 minutes.
3. Bring broth back up to a boil, add soba noodles, stir, and cook for 4 minutes or until noodles are tender. Remove pot from heat.
4. Add shiitakes, stir in the greens until they wilt, and season with salt and sesame oil.
*can be made vegan by using vegetable stock
+ Good source of selenium, iron, and protein
* Every single recipe on this website uses nature’s ingredients, only. Always choose organic, local and seasonal whenever possible.
This recipe was created by Chef Hannah Gruber.
Photo thanks to Hannah Gruber.
This recipe is part of © 2014 The Earth Diet ™ All Rights Reserved
The Earth Diet
These March recipes are created by Chef Hannah Gruber who lives the lifestyle.