"To be honest, the Bhutanese would make these with just buckwheat and water where it is too high to grow rice. Instead of traditional maple syrup it would be the sizzling National dish ~ Ema Datshi (chili and cheese) For a fruity change honey citrus butter blends are luscious too blended with mango or papaya. A moment of summer melting in your mouth…" -Susanne Wilder
Makes 24 4-inch pancakes
2 cups buckwheat flour
½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
¼ cup stone ground organic cornmeal
3-4 Tbsp wheat germ or Chia seed
2tsp baking powder
½-1 tsp Himalayan or sea salt
4 free range eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups plain fat-free yogurt or vegan variation
2 cups skim, rice or almond milk
1-2 Tbsp safflower or coconut oil
1-2 Tbsp Boutique honey, maple syrup (opt)
Fluted any melon
Scattered any berries and citrus peel or zest
1. In a mixing bowl, stir together the first six (6) ingredients.
2. Add remaining ingredients; stir vigorously until smooth or with small electric mixer.
3. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook pancakes by quarter
cupful until golden brown on both sides. The 1st side bubbles. Don’t rush.
4. Overlap cakes in chafer or hotel pan. Centre a fluted cantaloupe (rock melon) or honey dew in between pancakes. Scatter any berries overall and optional julienned lemon/lime peel.
NOTE: Spelt pancakes Omit buckwheat flour and replace with spelt flour. Replace skim milk with 1/2 organic apple juice and rice or almond milk. Replace 2 eggs with whites only for a lower cholesterol alternative. Use a waffle iron for a change!
Fold in 1 cup blueberries. Serve with diced apples, mangos, bananas and pears.
* Every single recipe on this website uses nature’s ingredients, only. Always choose organic, local and seasonal whenever possible.
Recipe & photo by Susanne Wilder, health coach for The Earth Diet.
This recipe was originally posted on Susanne's web site www.wilderbythedozen.com
This recipe is part of © 2014 The Earth Diet ™ All Rights Reserved