1tsp olive oil
1 med red onion, minced
2-3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 ¼ cups Basmati, brown or red rice
1/3cup pine/walnuts or slivered almonds
2 ¼ cups chicken or vegetable broth
¼ cup lemon juice
1-2 Tbsp sweet minced ginger
1-2 Tbsp chopped fresh mint
1-2 tsp grated fresh ginger
Freshly grated rind of 1 lemon
Freshly ground pepper
Himalayan pink salt
1. Prepare and measure all ingredients.
2. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion then garlic; sauté until soft, about 5 minutes.
3. Add rice and nuts; stir until golden brown. Add broth and lemon juice; bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until liquid is absorbed, 20-25 minutes.
5. Just before serving, add ginger, mint, lemon zest and pepper; fluff with 2 forks.
NOTE: Coconut milk or cream is a tasty rich substitute for even some of the broth. Save money and get full cream and add your own water to make it light.
* Every single recipe on this website uses nature’s ingredients, only. Always choose organic, local and seasonal whenever possible.
Recipe & photo by Susanne Wilder, health coach for The Earth Diet.
This recipe was originally posted on Susanne's web site www.wilderbythedozen.com
This recipe is part of © 2014 The Earth Diet ™ All Rights Reserved