Paella-Style Brown Rice & Prawns
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1-1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1-1/4 cup water
- 3 Tbsp. Nutiva Coconut Oil with Buttery Flavor
- 1/2 tsp. real salt
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 2 cups brown rice cooked
- 4 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 large pinches Spanish saffron threads soaked in 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp. chili pepper flakes
- 1 large tomato finely chopped
- 1/3 cup frozen peas
- 1/3 cup frozen corn
- 1 lb. prawns or large shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 lemon
In large deep pan or cast-iron skillet, heat 3 tablespoons coconut oil. Sauté chopped onions, garlic and salt 2 minutes. Add cooked brown rice; continue cooking 3 minutes, stirring regularly.
Add vegetable stock, water, saffron and the saffron soaking liquid, paprika, cayenne pepper and chili pepper. Stir in chopped tomatoes. Bring to boil; let liquid slightly reduce.
Cover with lid; reduce heat to low. Cook 12 minutes.
Add shrimp. Cover; continue cooking 10 to 15 minutes or until shrimp turns pink.
Add squeeze of lemon and parsley. Serve hot.
This recipe was originally published on my Vitacost blog. Check out more recipes here.
Use code: EARTHDIET at checkout on Vitacost to save 10% on your next order.
Get recipes directly to your inbox