Stay protected in the sun this summer with these tips!May 23, 2022
Applying sunscreen and staying out of the sun is the most obvious way to protect your
skin from the sun. But when it’s summer and you are out and about it’s impossible to avoid
some of the reflecting rays, and of course, you may want to spend some time enjoying outdoor
activities. It’s become more known in the last couple of years, that sunscreen can be more
harmful than helpful. Most sunscreens are filled with harmful chemicals that can actually be
more toxic for us rather than help protect us. Common chemicals found in sunscreen include
oxybenzone, avobenzone, octisalate, octocrylene, homosalate, and octinoxate. It is important to look for sun protection products that do not contain these chemicals.
Tips for protecting the skin this summer:
- Avoid sunscreens that contain chemicals as follows that are linked to cancer, autoimmune
disease, allergies, anemia, and endocrine disruption (thyroid disorders and PCOS).
- Benzene: A popular brand that we all know was issued a recall in 2021 after unexpected levels of benzene were detected in more than 70 products
- Phenoxyethanol: Known to cause non-reproductive organ system toxicity
- PEG-100 STEARATE: Non-reproductive organ system toxicity and contamination concerns (ETHYLENE OXIDE and 1,4-DIOXANE)
- PROPYLENE GLYCOL: High irritation for skin, eyes, and lungs
- CHLORPHENESINL: A synthetic preservative, it is harmful if inhaled, is an immunosuppressant, dermatitis reported, and may cause respiratory irritation
- HOMOSALATE: Endocrine disruption, Non-reproductive organ system toxicity (moderate), Contamination concerns (SALICYLIC ACID and TRIMETHYLCYCLOHEXANOL)
- OCTOCRYLENE Persistence and bioaccumulation, Biochemical or cellular level changes (high
- Use a natural mineral sunscreen, that uses organic ingredients and actually works.
- Olita is a brand that sells a great mineral sunscreen made with certified organic and Environmental Working Group certified ingredients. Olita offers three varieties of sunscreen including SPF 30 which comes in plain white and tinted (my favorite). Then an SPF 50 which is the baby line. All three are amazing and rub into the skin well without leaving a white film on the skin as many other mineral sunscreens do. These actually nourish the skin due to their 100% natural and clean ingredients. Purchase Olita here and use my code: LIANA to save 10%.
- Protect your skin from the inside out! Believe it or not, you can actually protect
yourself internally by eating:
- Red bell pepper
- Red cabbage
Registered dietician and skin cancer survivor Anne Cundiff recommends increasing your consumption of lycopene-rich foods. She explains: “This powerful antioxidant found in reddish-colored fruits tends to act as a natural sunscreen, providing an SPF of 3 or 4 from the inside out. In addition, lycopene helps your skin act as a natural filter, allowing enough sunlight through for your body to produce vitamin D.”
Follow these tips this summer to stay safe from the sun and keep your skin looking healthy and vibrant!